Festive Baking with Louise | Gingerbread Snap Biscuits
The kids love gingerbread men, they also love my ginger biscuits, they turn rather feral over these and I have to hide some for myself as they will literally eat them in once sitting if I let them.
When these are cooking the house smells lovely and with Christmas fast approaching I love the smell it produces.
You will need these items to prepare and cook the biscuits:
- – Greaseproof paper
- – Non stick flat trays x2
- – A rolling pin
- – A whisk
- – Clingfilm
- – Mixing bowls x 2
- – A baking sieve (a wire mesh one)
- – A set of scales
- – 120g self-raising flour
- – 1½ tsp ground ginger
- – 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- – 40g light brown muscovado sugar
- – 50g cold butter, cut into small cubes
- – Small pinch salt
- – 40g golden syrup
Cream Cheese Filling
- – 100g (3 1/2oz) cream cheese
- – 100g butter, softened
- – 200g icing sugar, sieved
1. Preheat the oven to gas 4, 180°C, 160°C. In a large bowl, combine all the biscuit ingredients, except the golden syrup. Rub the mixture together in between your fingers until it resembles breadcrumbs. Add in the golden syrup and 1 tsp cold water. Mix this together with a spoon until combined.
2. Line two baking trays with nonstick baking paper and roll the mixture into 12 even balls. Put six on each tray, allowing space for them to spread, and squash them down slightly.
3. Bake in the oven for 10 mins or until golden and crackled. Remove then allow to cool for at least 30 mins.
4. Meanwhile, make the filling. Combine the cream cheese and butter in a large bowl and beat to combine.
5. Gradually add in the icing sugar until it’s all combined and beat for a further minute to aerate the mixture.
6. Once the biscuits have cooled, assemble the sandwiches. Spoon 2 tbsp of the cream cheese filling into the centre of one biscuit and place another biscuit on top, then push the two together until the filling reaches the edges. Repeat until you have 6 sandwiches. Store in the fridge until needed.
7. Make sure you only make these on a special occasion as they are rather moreish and I won’t even mention the calorie content as you may change your mind.
Many thanks for reading
Don't forget to share this post!