Planning for surgery
There will be lots of information and guidance available and this may feel daunting, so please do not hesitate to ask your nurse any questions you have.
If your operation is planned, you may have the opportunity to decide on a suitable location for your stoma with your nurse. Taking into account things like your lifestyle and clothing, siting your stoma will mean that after your recovery you will be able to continue enjoying the activities and wearing the clothing you are used to.
There should also be the opportunity to practise wearing a pouch before your operation. This will give you an opportunity to practise applying and removing pouches.
Packing for your stay in hospital
To make sure your stay in hospital is as comfortable as possible you might want to think about packing the following:
• A supply of night clothes
• A comfortable dressing gown and slippers
• Plenty of clean underwear, including socks
• Comfortable day clothes
• Books and magazines (and reading glasses if required)
• Toiletries – soap, toothbrush, toothpaste, shampoo, deodorant
• A small hand towel
• Sanitary products
• Razor and shaving products
• Comb or hairbrush
• Any medication you normally take, and a list of doses of each medicine
Join our community
Be part of our community and join in the conversation – follow Pelican Healthcare on social and discover all of our latest promotional campaigns and product launches…