What is ballooning?
Ballooning happens when the wind from your stoma collects inside your pouch causing it to inflate or balloon.
What can cause ballooning?
- A blocked pouch filter.
- A wet pouch filter.
- Dietary issues.
Hints and tips
- Ballooning is uncomfortable. It causes your pouch to bulge underneath your clothing, and can lead to leakage and odour. This wind needs to be released. If you are using a 1-piece closed pouch, you will need to change your pouch. If you are using a drainable pouch it will need emptying.
- Different pouch manufacturers use different filters. Try different pouches until you find the filter that best suits your needs.
- To avoid the pouch filter getting wet and therefore inactive, cover it with one of the adhesive tabs supplied with your box of pouches before you have a bath, shower or go swimming. Don’t forget to remove the tab when you have finished.
- Some food and drinks can give you excessive wind and you may want to eliminate the ones that affect you.
- Stoma irrigation or flushing the bowel out with warm water is a form of stoma management suitable to some but not all people with a colostomy. Irrigation can help reduce the problems associated with ballooning.
Don't forget to share this post!